Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 05:02:16 +0000
From:      Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD inside VMWare and x.org

On 02/24/05 23:37:53, Bill Moran wrote:
>=20
> I'd like to use FreeBSD inside VMWare on my desktop.  I've used =20
> VMWare
> for testing things out in FreeBSD quite a few times with considerable
> success, but I've never before installed x.org, and that's where I'm
> getting hung up.  I'm trying to use FreeBSD 5.3, with the latest xorg
> from ports (just updated today).
>=20
> I can't seem to get X to start with any decent screen realestate.  If
> I use the "vmware" driver, I'm stuck with 640x480.  I experimented
> some
> and tried the "vesa" driver, which worked nicely except the screen is
> huge (I'm guessing 3000x3000 or so) and since most of it is off the
> monitor, it's unusable.
>=20
> I've tried installaing the vmware-tools4 package, and I've tried it
> without the package.  It doesn't seem to make much difference either
> way.
>=20
> Any suggestions or pointers on how to get a usable system inside
> VMWare?

Change you /etc/X11/xorg.conf to match the relevant parts of this

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "saphfire"
    Monitor     "kds_1600x1200@75"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection