Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:26:57 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=" <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        Rudy <dce@squish.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bind

Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav wrote:

> Studded <Studded@dal.net> writes:
> >       That depends, what do you want to do with it?  FreeBSD comes with the
> > BIND package installed... if you want to set up a simple resolver the
> > info on doing that is in the handbook. Anything more complicated and you
> > should get the book "DNS and BIND, Second edition" from O'Reilly and
> > Associates press.
>
> Unfortunately, the Cricket Book is now pretty useless since it
> describes the old configuration format. I had some success creating an
> old-style configuration file and converting it to the new format using
> the provided script, but it's kind of a hack and probably won't work
> for more complicated setups (I have a caching nameserver with reverse
> DNS for 127/8 and 10/8 and a fake forward DNS for ewox.org)

	The only thing out of date is the server configuration file format,
which is actually a small part of the book. The zone file format and DNS
theory haven't changed a bit.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.
     - Yiddish Proverb