Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:46:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha Install - oops!

Doug Rabson, On 31-Aug-98 you wrote:

> > Sorry to bother you with these details, but I ned to get FreeBSD
> > running to
> > do the FCAL and i2o ports for the 64bit DPT.  The alternative is
> > NetBSD.
>
>  I have seen this behaviour very rarely.  I think sometimes my code which
>  enables ISA interrupts doesn't work properly on the Miata but I can't
>  figure out a pattern yet.  Try rebooting a couple of times to see if it
>  unsticks itself.

I tried.  Works well under NEtBSD.  Stuckunder FreeBSD.

>  I haven't had much luck putting non DEC vga cards into the 433au which I
>  have.  The SRM console barfs something about an invalid device and then
>  halts.  That might just be a firmware problem and I have only tried
>  using
>  an MGA Mill II as a replacement for the TGA card which came with it so
>  your mileage may vary.

I really do not need a graphics card.  The machines come from Compaq (still
saying DIGITAL on the box :-) without the video card, nor a keyboard.  I'd
rather keep them this way (they are all news, firwall, DNS, etc. servers).
Wee are trying to get FreeBSD to run on them, with the DPT cards.  We
belive it to be a good server, maybe an alternative to NetApps someday.

>  The boot process will detect which console is active automatically.  You
>  don't need any extra flags.  There is an SRM environment variable
>  'console' to select the default ('set console graphics' or 'set console
>  serial') but even if a serial console is the default, you can swap back
>  the vga console by hitting return a few times.

It finds the serial console pretty well.  I'll leave it there for now.

>  Don't worry about bothering me with details.  I can't fix bugs unless
>  people tell me about them :-)

Healthy attitde!  Just tell me what I can do to help.

Simon