Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 12:15:19 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_diskmbr.c

> As Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > There shouldn't *be* bootblocks on non-boot disks.
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da$n count=1
> >
> > Dont use "disklabel -B -rw da$n auto".  Use "disklabel -rw da$n auto".
>
> All my disks have bootblocks and (spare) boot partitions.  All the
> bootblocks are DD mode.  I don't see any point in using obsolete fdisk
> tables.  (There's IMHO only one purpose obsolete fdisk tables are good
> for, co-operation with other operating systems in the same machine.
> None of my machines uses anything else than FreeBSD.)

Since I tire of seeing people hit this ignorant opinion in the list
archives, I'll just offer the rational counterpoints.

 - The MBR partition table is not "obsolete", it's a part of the PC
   architecture specification.
 - You omit the fact that many peripheral device vendors' BIOS code looks
   for the MBR partition table, and will fail if it's not present or
   incorrect.

You do realise that "DD" mode does include a (invalid) MBR partition
table (now valid, courtesy of a long-needed fix), right?

I'd love to never hear those invalid, unuseful, misleading opinions from
you again.