Date:      Wed, 21 May 2008 16:13:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jrytoung@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd on mips64

In message: <86068e730805211400h17e4fe35h186a6158b490e302@mail.gmail.com>
            "Jerry Toung" <jrytoung@gmail.com> writes:
: On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 9:14 PM, M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
: > FreeBSD also runs on a Cavium OCTEON processor.  However, the code to
: > do that is in limbo at the moment due to a last minute issue that came
: > up with it.  I'm sure the issue will be resolved in short order, but
: > until then, it only works in my office at home...
:
: do you mind sharing that code? it's going to be particularly relevant to me
: as I make progress.

I don't mind sharing.  However, there are others that do mind so I
regret to say that right now, I can't.  If the others work out the
issues they have, then I may be able to share.

: > To get up to speed on the port, I'd recommend buying the 'See Mips
: > Run, 2nd Edition.'  This is a very good book, despite having Linux in
: > the subtitle....
:
: I will purchase that book then

I have both editions.  The second one is better than the first, and
there's very little in the first that you'd miss in the second.  I
only have both because I've been hacking on mips a long time.

: > I'd grab the current CVS tree.  It is presently missing the compilers,
: > which we should make some patches for soon.
: >
: >
: > ok. I checked out FreeBSD/mips from HEAD yesterday and overwrote my local
: copy of sys/mips with that one. I also overwrote my local copy of
: sys/conf/files.mips with the one from CVS, then ran:
: make TARGET_ARCH=mips kernel-toolchain
: make TARGET_ARCH=mips NO_MODULES=yes MIPS_LITTLE_ENDIAN=yes buildkernel
: KERNCONF=MALTA
:
: buildkernel exit with 'unknown option for SOFTFLOAT and ISA_MIPS32'. Fine, I
: comment them out althought I don't think I should, then buildkernel exit
: with error:
:
: cc: /usr/home/jtoung/MIPS/src/sys/mips/mips/mips_subr.c: No such file or
: directory
: mkdep: compile fail
:
: so the file mips_subr.c is missing. My cross-compiling machine runs 6.2
: STABLE by the way.
:
:  Please someone advise on SOFTFLOAT, ISA_MIPS32 and mips_subr.c

I'll take a look at those...  The first two are most likely silly
forgotten commits.  The last one is a file that was removed.  You can
remove it from the files.mips file.  It was unused by the current mips
code.

Warner