Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:43:19 -0800
From:      Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   resizing a swap partition

Does FreeBSD support any tools that can dynamically repartition a drive
while preserving the data in those partitions (assuming there's enough
free space in the new partition layout)?  I have a FreeBSD 4.2 machine
with one drive and I'd like to add more swap space (I'm getting lots of
messages saying "/kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed" and lots of
processes saying "was killed: out of swap space").  I couldn't find any
entries in the FAQ or the Handbook to address this.  I found a post in
the list archives to create another swap file, but it also warned that
it isn't as efficient as a "native swap partition".  Also, even if I
created more swap files, is there a way to instruct the swapper to first
use the swap partition, then use the swap file?

Any pointers are appreciated, thanks!

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net