Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:09:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, msmith@mass.dis.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel stack size and stacking: do we have a problem ?

> The problem with stacking layered systems is that the naïve and
> simple implementation, just calling into the layer below, has
> basically unbounded kernel stack usage.
>
> Fortunately for us, neither VFS nor netgraph has had too much use
> yet, so we have not been excessively bothered by people running
> out of kernel-stack.

I think that this is looking for a solution before we have a problem, and
realisically in the small number of cases where massive stack usage is
actually required rather than simply the result of poor coding, we can
look at increasing the stack allocation.

There's plenty of stack already for very deep call graphs, and the
complexity introduced with the "solutions" currently being thrown around
would greatly outweigh the cost of slightly increasing the current stack
allocation in the event that it gets blown out.

So, in short, stay focussed on the real problems. 8)

 = Mike