Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:57:19 +0200
From:      Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
To:        rootman <rootman@xmission.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Justification for using FreeBSD

At 06:32 15.6. 2001, rootman wrote the following:

>Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say:

>I took that to mean: There are already two web servers in place, FreeBSD/Apache
>on one and NT 4.0/MS IIS on the other.  Both are working fine, no need to
>change anything.
>
>Other than fixing some duplication of content, this is certainly true.
>However, if I can't supply a good reason for having two web servers
>running our intranet, then I believe my manager wouldn't bat an eye at
>telling me to copy all of the content on my FreeBSD box over to the
>NT 4.0/MS IIS box and then get rid of FreeBSD.  This is, of course,
>before arguing the cost saving benefits associated with FreeBSD.
>
>I feel I've already obtained enough helpful information from you and
>others on this list to justify the use of FreeBSD where I work.
>
>If none of this serves to change minds/attitudes, nothing will.
>

>On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Cynic wrote:
>> At 04:02 15.6. 2001, rootman wrote the following:

<snip> way too much of text </snip>

>> >I plan to run a lot of web applications on FreeBSD/Apache.  I plan to install
>> >FreeBSD 4.3 on a new server and include the latest Apache, PHP and MySQL
>> >for starters.  I will also have Big Brother running on it to do our network
>> >monitoring.  Wouldn't it be better to serve content on one web server and
>> >run your web apps on another?
>>
>> What do you mean? Like moving all the static pages to either of the httpds and
>> developing only on the other one from there on?
>
>Yes.
>>
>> >Wouldn't this reduce the overall load on both
>> >servers, instead of serving content and web apps on one?

Even if it didn't reduce the load. It makes so much sense to develop
for just one platform...

Besides, take this example (this assumes you can speak several languages):
you are assigned a task of developing an application. You evaluate a few
technologies, take the one that's the most appropriate for the work, and
go ahead. What are your options?
(mod_)php, (mod_)perl, (mod_)python, mod_jk + Tomcat... There are others.
All with one FREE webserver, one FREE operating system (ok, Linux might
be better for Java)... And all your options are free just as well.

IIS: ASP (JScript, VBScript, Perl... others I don't recall, but not many)
The Perl interpreter for IIS is mady by ActiveState, and isn't free IIRC.
And you can plug Tomcat into IIS just like into Apache... I have never seen
that, though, so I don't know how well that works.

And again: if you decide to take the IIS to the internet, you have to pay
for it again.

>> >I know that
>> >FreeBSD/Apache could handle this easily but I don't know about MS IIS.  Plus,
>> >the UNIX version of Big Brother is free and you have to pay for the MS version.
>>
>> IIS isn't as crippled as you might think from the majority of opinions expressed
>> on unix-related mailing lists.

I should also note that IIS 5 is reportedly _much_ better software than
IIS 4. That would mean yet another investment into NT 5 Server (NT 5 is
really very good offering, and with NT 4 SP 7 called off, and all development
going into current versions of the infrastructure... you'd pretty much soon
have to).

>Ok, thanks.  I hope I made a little more sense this time.  Maybe I just don't
>know what I'm talking about.  I've been using FreeBSD for over a year now but
>would never call myself anything of an expert.  I've still got years of
>learning ahead.

I'm just getting to know FreeBSD (or unix in general). So far I've been just
taking care of a few webservers (linux & NT). But that's what this debate is
about - webservers and related technologies, not OSes.

cynic@mail.cz