Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:55:21 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Persistent IPC locks in FreeBSD?

Under Solaris, you can initialize a pthread_mutex_t in mmapped memory that
can be shared by any process that mmaps the same object, even after the first
process exits.  This has the advantage that the mutex is tightly and
unambiguously bound to the data in the mmapped file, even through reboots
(or even kernel upgrades), and is automatically removed when the mmapped
file is deleted or reinitialized.

From what I can tell from the documentation, this sort of persistent IPC
behavior is unavailable for a FreeBSD pthread_mutex.  Furthermore, the
alternative--SysV semaphores--have problematic creation, persistence, and
destruction semantics.

Is this basically the way it is, and I just have to live with it, or have
I overlooked something?

	-Michael Robinson