Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 13:05:33 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), davidg@root.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Coding style ( was Re: why is this not a bug in namei?)

Terry Lambert writes:
> > > 9 items in short term memory simultaneously.  That would be why phone
> > > numbers are 7 digits.
> > >
> > > I'm not even taxing the low end of the study participants.
> >
> > What this has to do with you using goto's I have no idea.
>
> It shows that David's complaint about 3 goto's is religious, and not as
> he said a result of battling obfuscation.

Huh, you lost me here.

> > > On the other hand, if I want block profiling without having to rewrite
> > > the compiler, then I have to add a block start on function entry and
> > > one on every function exit.  If there is one function exit, then I
> > > have to add one.
> >
> > Again, what this has to do with you using goto's I have no idea.
>
> Getting to the one function exit the way the BSD code is currently
> written requires a goto.

If the code *needs* to be written that way, then I can see your point,
but I don't see that as part of KNF.  The only thing even mentioning
exits implies that you can have multiple exits in any function.

I quote:
        /*
         * Exits should be 0 on success, and 1 on failure.  Don't denote
         * all the possible exit points, using the integers 1 through 300.
         */
        exit(0);    /* Avoid obvious comments such as "Exit 0 on success." */

> > A rule enforced in all software houses I've worked in.  "Programmers who
> > use gotos will be publically ridiculed"
>
> I look forward to your and David's patches to the following functions,
> and to the functions not in these two subdirectories that have the same
> "goto infestation problem":

AFAIK, we are discussing new code re-writes, not changing already
existing code.  Re-writing all of the existing code is a worthy task,
but there are much worthier tasks that need to be done.

Nate