Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:43:27 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Chris Ptacek <cptacek@sitaranetworks.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devbuf state in top

In message <31269226357BD211979E00A0C9866DAB02BB99F1@rios.sitaranetworks.com>,
Chris Ptacek writes:
>I had a process whose state under top was listed as devbuf.
>This process seemed to be stuck and I was unable to kill it.
>I ended up rebooting the box to reset it.
>
>None of the man pages (TOP, PS) list the devbuf state.
>What is it and what was the process trying to do?
>I am guessing it had something to do with memory allocation.

It means that the kernel is trying to allocate memory with a type
code of M_DEVBUF, but the kernel limit for that type has been
reached. Hence the process is stuck waiting for something to free
M_DEVBUF memory for it to use. `vmstat -m' shows the current
amount of memory allocated by each malloc type.

As the name suggests M_DEVBUF is normally used for buffers in kernel
devices. Maybe you have created a very large number of devices or
configured a device in a way that requires a lot of memory (e.g set
a huge value for SC_HISTORY_SIZE), maybe there is a memory leak,
or possibly you just need to increase the value of MAXUSERS in the
kernel configuration file.

Ian