Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:22:16 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: overclocking and FreeBSD stablity...

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 05:30:46PM -0700, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > Recently I installed Solaris 8 on the machine and tried running it
> > overclocked... Solaris performs horribly with an overclocked processor.=
=20
> > It freezes every other second and gives error messages on boot.
>=20
> Slowaris wasn't meant to be a performance system and probably chokes
> when it runs at speeds above 400Mhz.

This is a fairly disingenuous statement.  If the OS is dying on an
overclocked processor, it's because the processor is failing under the
CPU load.  You'll have the same problem with FreeBSD or any other OS
if you push it in the right way.

> I have yet to hear of a report of an overclocked x86 system not working
> with FreeBSD (if you don't overheat your system that is).  Seriously, it
> should work.

This is untrue.  If you overclock your CPU beyond the point where it
works reliably, well, your OS will exhibit the signs of that failure.
End of story.

Kris
--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY--