Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:52:19 -0700
From:      Sean-Paul Rees <sean@seanrees.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advanced Router

I'm a part of the network administration team a local ISP. We're a non-profit
group that provides internet access to a couple of media labs, our internet
subscribers, and our servers.

Over the last few months, we've noticed a lot of our network slow down. Part
of it is attributed to a constantly growing network that could use a bit of
a clean up. Also, we've been subjected to a small share of DoS attacks.

We want to put our media labs on private address space to conserve our routable
address space. We also want a small firewall to filter out some of the garbage
that goes through, and to block certain services from untrusted sources.

I'm planning to recommend a FreeBSD box to handle this task. We're non-profit
and we don't have a ton to spend, and I love FreeBSD a lot :-)

The media labs have quite a few Macintosh computers. For that, we have a set
of servers that double as AppleShare services. We also have a box that handles
NetBoot and QuickTime Streaming.

What I want to do is sit the FreeBSD box in the middle, so-to-speak.

                   [T1 - CRL]

                [FreeBSD Router]
        ___________|      |___________
        |                            |
  [ Our Servers ]             [ Media Labs NAT ]
   (x.x.x.x/24)                (192.168.0.0/24)

We need the media labs to talk AppleShare to our servers. So, we need the
FreeBSD box to be able to alias those packets. I don't forsee NetBoot being
able to be aliasable, so we'd probably stick the NetBoot server into the
private address space. So, since it's running out QuickTime Streaming aswell,
we'd need to forward those packets.

Is that I have here feasible? Ideas would be appreciated. I'd like to present
them an irrefusable plan :-)

Thanks! :)

Cheers,
Sean-Paul Rees