Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:49:57 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   newsyslog blanket roll question

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

Hey all.  Quick newsyslog.conf question:

I am running Apache, which uses several system logs which I would like
to rotate on a weekly basis.

After  reading newsyslog(8)  I came  up  with the  following group  of
newsyslog.conf entries:

/var/log/ssl_engine_log       644   5   *  $W6D0  Z  /var/run/http.pid
/var/log/ssl_request_log      644   5   *  $W6D0  Z  /var/run/http.pid
/var/log/httpd-access.log     644   5   *  $W6D0  Z  /var/run/http.pid
/var/log/httpd-error.log      644   5   *  $W6D0  Z  /var/run/http.pid

Which would roll the logs every  Saturday night at Midnight and SIGHUP
Apache. My  question is can  I do a blanket  roll and just  HUP Apache
once  if I  configure  Apache to  use logfiles  that  fit the  pattern
http*log and just roll them as follows:

/var/log/http*log             644   5   *  $W6D0  Z  /var/run/http.pid

I don't see any  indication in the manpage that this  will or will not
work, so  I thought I'd  pop the question out  here. I could  just try
this, but I don't want to hose the logging if I can help it.

TIA & HAND
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

  A man was reading The Canterbury Tales one Saturday morning, when his
wife asked "What have you got there?"  Replied he, "Just my cup and Chaucer=
."

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v--