Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:36:58 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Harry Veltman" <veltman@intergate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which FreeBSD is best for my PC?

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 23:54:38 -0800, "Harry Veltman" <veltman@intergate.com> wrote:
> Which version and GUI will work best on the internet with my
> AT Pentium II 350MHz x86-based PC?

Allthough the FreeBSD base system gets better and faster in each
version, the additional software and the GUI toolkits that belong
to them eat up more and more ressources.

Regarding the OS, you're be best off with the newest version of
FreeBSD (version 7). This enables you to use the software that is
present from the source tree of the ports collection or from the
precompiled packages.

Regarding GUI, I think you're talking about the window manager or
desktop environment. It depends on your individual preferences and
what / how / how much you're willing to learn. For example, I use
WindowMaker as my window manager, but on slower systems, XFCE 3,
Fluxbox, IceWM or even FVWM perform well and can be configured
easily and according to your needs and preferences.

On a system as you described it initially, you will need to build
a system by your own in order to get best performance. When you
did it correctly, you'll have an entirely good system - I know it,
I have such an "oldie", too. :-)

Then you need to choose your software (multimedia players, browser,
mail client etc.), what you're going to use.

Finally, it's a bit "trial and error", read: You'll have to test
by yourself what fits your needs. There's nothing that is intended
to fit per se.

I can't answer your question regarding "Flash" and encryption;
sadly, I never saw any need for this.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany