Date:      Fri, 26 May 1995 01:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ranger <ranger@simon.sfsu.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   humble request

FreeBSD gurus,
After a long stubborn (exhaustive) fight with FreeBSD, I'm breaking down
and asking for help :) So here it goes...

First off, I want to get FreeBSD setup to run with a PPP connection, and
basicly be my little on ramp to Inet.

My box is:
Processor: 486/66   (AST machine)
BIOS - IBM (ver. AST Advantage! Pro 1.01)
Memory: 4 Megs (please, no laughing :)), 30 Megs SWAP
SVGA monitor
serial mouse
Western Digital 250 Meg HD & Conner 850 Meg HD (seen as 813M by FreeBSD)
    (44 meg of the 250 and all of the 850 are for FreeBSD, both IDE)
CDROM (single speed), with an 8 bit sound blaster sound card.

Recently Ive tried:
1) Moved from Linux to FreeBSD, hoping to change for the better :)

2) Went to install FreeBSD, It wouldn't read my CDROM.
   So, I copied what I thought would be needed from the CD to the DOS
partition. I only had room for the Bindist, Man pages, srcdist, some of
the source code, and X (which wouldn't install), I copied these from the
CD to my Dos HD with the same directory tree.
   Then I installed them on the FreeBSD side, and was able to boot
Freebsd. I copied pine over from the dos partition, and attempted to
compile a friendlier editor than vi. It crashed, and failed to compile.
3) I next decided to concentrate on getting my PPP up and running so I
could ftp the whole current FreeBSD distribution, But.. the method in
which I was familar with 'cu'ing to another system isn't the same as in
freebsd. I tried just testing the pppd by trying to lanch it.. without
being connected. I got the error: PPP not supported by this system. After
investigating.. and asking around.. I was told that I had to recompile my
kernel (a first for me). I was totally over my head, looking at the
GENERIC file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf, so I purchased some BSD Manauls.
They were informative.. but not as PC orentated as I'd liked. After
several attempts at compiling a kernel, I got one to compile. I took
GENERIC, add the QUOTA option and the PPP peusdo-device, and it compiled.
I rebotteded with the new kernel, and I still am unable to start the PPP
deamon, or figure out how to access my modem.

Simply put:
1) How do I access my PPP deamon?
2) How do I access my Modem, to call my provider?
3) How do I get the current release from the ftp site, and is there some
procise instructions as to HOW-TO install it?

Some other questions:

4) How do I enable disk quota?
5) How do I enablee system accounting?
6) Is there a driver for my cdrom ( a complete installation might go a
long way)
7) How do I get other editors installed? (pico, emacs, etc..)

I REALLY appreciate any and all suggestions, 1-3 are the most important
to me at the moment. I appologize, for the spammy longwinded letter, and
please forgive the typos Its really late.

humbly thankful,
Tom Riley

P.S. I have the majority of the O'Reilly and Associates books on UNIX..
so if anyone can refer me to insteresting relevant sections from those
books, I'll re-read those sections. So far there isn't much on setting
up  a BSD system. that I can find :) Again, Thanks for your time, and
help! :)

*  ranger@worldbit.com                    ranger@simon.sfsu.edu  *
*     Tom Riley                              Janitor of BayMOO   *
* He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet. *
*					 -Unknown                *