Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2013 01:00:31 -0500
From:      Isaac (.ike) Levy <ike@blackskyresearch.net>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: removing CVS in Handbook Updating and Upgrading chapter
References:  <alpine.BSF.2.00.1301241510470.86451@wonkity.com> <alpine.GSO.1.10.1301251321400.9389@multics.mit.edu> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1301251154450.5025@wonkity.com> <1359241802-3572135.75152325.fr0QN9mrI032137@rs149.luxsci.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1301261808410.2537@wonkity.com> <1359270722-3962523.11114096.fr0R7BNq4003267@rs149.luxsci.com> <20130127072036.GL1423@glenbarber.us> <1359272102-5757022.21162222.fr0R7YAiH011169@rs149.luxsci.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1301271232560.9759@wonkity.com> <1359319922-4118699.16248077.fr0RKpjZd021871@rs149.luxsci.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1301271412080.9759@wonkity.com>

Guys, I'm very embarrassed, I meant to send this but hid the window in =
my dock instead.
(skip to end to avoid continuing the same conversation- long story =
short, I concede your plan is good)

On Jan 27, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013, Isaac (.ike) Levy wrote:
>> Warren, I owe you and Glen a drink for dealing with this exasperating =
thread.
>> I wouldn't continue if I didn't believe new users first installs are =
extremely important,
>=20
> Me either.  Although I don't understand why new users would csup =
-STABLE or -CURRENT on their first installs=85

I'm with you- SVN there!

>=20
>> On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Warren Block wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Say we leave CVS references in this chapter, and CVS for source goes =
away in (for example) six months.  Anyone who starts using CVS in that =
time will be forced to switch.  And they would be justifiably upset, =
because they were offered an option that was going away.
>>=20
>> I can totally agree, all *CVS* verbiage can be removed from the doc.
>=20
> By CVS, I mean the application itself and the special-case programs =
that use it, like csup and cvsup.

Enthusiastic +1, raze it it in doc.

>=20
>>> My personal feeling is that continuing to suggest CVS for -STABLE or =
-CURRENT, even with a deprecation warning, is a disservice to those =
users.
>>=20
>> I can certainly see that point.  cusp(1) has a man page, config =
files, etc? it's pretty self-evident to admins who want to use it.
>>=20
>> --
>> However, the one place where people are getting tripped up, is the =
quick fetch required before buildworld/buildkernel:
>>=20
>> I see nothing but benefit leaving one line before the =
buildworld/makeworld dance:
>> # csup /usr/share/examples/standard-supfile
>=20
> But that's not in there now.  The sections about updating source are =
separate from the buildworld section.  And the cvsup/csup part is not =
one line, because it goes into details about editing the supfile. Which =
must be done before running that single line, because the example =
doesn't work as-is.

Good point on default config-  Muscle memory has me doing this in my =
sleep,

# cvsup -h cvsup14.us.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/standard-supfile

>=20
>> And one more line after that,
>> "cvsup/csup(1) has been deprecated, and will be end-of-lifed when the =
replacement is completed in base"
>=20
> Followed by "Do not use this, because it will go away permanently =
soon. In fact, it was kind of a mistake to mention it at all, because =
it's just going to cause you trouble.  Stop using cvs, cvsup, and csup. =
They don't care about you, they're just using you.  The sooner you quit, =
the better for everyone.  Seriously, it's over, if you use CVS now =
you'll just have to switch to something else in a little while anyway. =
Pick something else.  You can use svn for development versions or =
portsnap or tar downloads for releases.  Pick anything else, we implore =
you.  Really, stop using CVS now, right now.  We implore you, stop using =
that thing we suggested.  If we could take it back, we would.  Looking =
back fills us with sorrow and regret.  In fact, we're going to =
retroactively declare that we never said it, and sent you in the right =
direction in the first place.  We're so sorry.  Please forgive us."

Ha- well, I see your point, (except I don't see how bad it is because it =
works pretty darned well).

The alternative, to me, is equally frustrating for a new user:

pkg add cvsup, (watch while pkg itself apologizes on it's way to =
installing itself), whops, just installed pkg?  Yeah- no binary packages =
right now, come back another day.
now, download ports tree, learn portsnap, (and the few tools like =
pkg_info which are still *sortof* required to work with ports).
Now, install SVN- dependencies and all.

Now, svn to /usr/src, except whops- what happens if you installed src it =
with boot media?  svn complains- new to svn?  Figure that out, and =
muster up the courage to rm or mv /usr/src

>=20
>> It's a lot simpler than leading them down the SVN setup path, the =
state it's in today!
>=20
> svn has to be installed from ports... but so did cvsup, and it had =
large dependencies,

Correct- Perl was a cvsup dependency, that's way bigger than SVN,

> and people still use it.  svn setup is simpler than cvsup or csup--no =
supfile, it's just URLs.
>=20
> But again, those are arguments against deprecating CVS, not against =
removing it from the documentation. =20

Indeed- lets not touch that on doc list.

> That head has crashed on the platter, the swallow has dropped the =
coconut, the anti-increment has impacted the impeller.

10-4 on that.

--
Cool- we understand each other- you call it, I'll stand behind you on =
it.

Even though I disagree with the tactic, the spirit of your approach is =
awesome (and cvsup serving src won't be alive for too long), we'll all =
only have to deal with this transition mess for (n) months more, =
(hopefully n<6).

In the meantime, hope to buy you a beer.

/salute

Best,
.ike