Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 19:00:26 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, DougB@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SSH Must Die

Kris Kennaway(kris@obsecurity.org)@2001.05.12 19:33:54 +0000:
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 04:24:48PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > >
> > > ssh works just fine for me in 4.3.  You must be doing something
> > > wrong.
> >
> > I used that "sysinstall" thing Jordan wrote to upgrade
> > from a 4.2 to a 4.3 system.
> >
> > Is that what I'm doing wrong?  ;^).
>
> sysinstall does a very minimal job of merging the contents of /etc.
> Certainly it could be improved (mergemaster works nicely when you have
> the source tree around).  Your patches would be appreciated.
is there a way to make the upgrade process easier by doing the thing
mergemaster does but with an interface that does not kill the average
ordinary user with a simple prompt without really useful help
incantating strange phrases to summon the subprocesses that diff and
patch and apply the arcane magic?
the average luser cannot deal with diff outputs so it would make sense
to have a simple program displaying the old version in the upper and the
new in the lower part of the screen, allowing the user to choose what to
do next. i am not quite sure, but i think about it "feeling" like vim or
emacs in splitscreen mode editing version-tagged files.

btw, mergemaster's version number generation for the help/syntax page is
broken because it displays the number of the running kernel not the
version of mergemaster itself:
---
  VERSION_NUMBER=`grep "[$]FreeBSD:" $0 | cut -d ' ' -f 4`
  echo "mergemaster version ${VERSION_NUMBER}"
---
why is it this way? i would think about creating the version in the
build process and s/@TAG@/version/ it in the to-be-installed mergemaster
file.

--
> A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is
> having fun.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46