Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 15:30:57 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Joey Garcia <bear@buug.homeip.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem filling up, how do I locate the large files?

At 05:30 AM 08.12.2001 -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
>Joey Garcia <bear@buug.homeip.net> types:
> > Okay, I hope the subject made sense.  Basically, my /usr is filing up and
> > I wanted to located the large files or larger directories that are filling
> > up the partition.  I read somehwere in some FAQ or something that the
> > command is something like this: du (some options) | sort (some more
> > options) but I'm not sure exactly about what options to use.  I have a
> > feeling that I read this somwhere on one of the documentation found at
> > freebsd.org but I just can't seem to find it again.  Any pointers to that
> > doucmentation would be awesome.  I know I read it somewhere...
>
>How about the du and sort man pages? The options are all documented
>there, which should be enough to figure out what you want.
>
>Hint: you want the size of all files on /usr and not other file
>systems mounted on /usr, sorted numerically, and probably largest
>values first.

Another very helpful command is find.  You could try something like:

find /usr -xdev -size +1000000c -ls -type f

This will tell you ever file on the filesystem /usr that is larger than one
million bytes or 1 Mb and the file is a regular file.  It will ls (list
using similar to the  -al options) the files it finds.  From there you can
even change the find command to do other things.  man find(1).  Excellent
command!  The du -h /fs | sort -rn is good too but it will take a long time
and you have to make sure that you either send the output to a file.

>         <mike
>--
>Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>                      http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
>Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

- Jim

http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=67861&lastnode_id=67861