Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 11:17:37 -0500
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, witr@rwwa.com
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5 ed driver problems continued

>  On Mon, 19 Jun 1995, Mark Tinguely wrote:
>
>  > I had a real SMC8013 do the ed0 timeout problem, turns out something
>  > in the boot sequence reconfigured the card's soft IRQ setting back to 5
>  > eventhough I move kernel and card's IRQ to 9 after installing the FreeBSD
>  > from the net using IRQ 5.
>
>  Did you leave the jumper in one of the fixed positions?  That causes the
>  card to reset its NVRAM back to the specified original setting.  You need
>  to set the jumper to "soft" to keep the ezsetup modified configuration.

thanks for the idea, but yes, the jumper is set for "soft". Something in
boot process re-programed the card. Then again the Ultra-Plus seems
have two programing modes, a temporary and long term configuration. I say this
because if you use the DOS "ezsetup" software and configure the card the
settings are permanent and if you change the settings via the "diagnose"
program, the settings are not permanent but last for until rebooted. Maybe
something got placed in the nonpermanent confirguration section of the card.

--mark.