Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 1997 15:48:37 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>, chat@freebsd.org, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Hood <cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>
Subject:   Re: hardware

> I just bought a Samsung 3.4 Gb drive with these features for my wife's
> machine, which runs Win95 and WinNT both.  The drive is fast and quiet,
> and judging from the Samsungs we have scattered around at work,
> reliable.  I suppose it is the "mode 4" that gives us the equivalents of
> detach and command queueing, Mr. Smith?

No.  "mode 4" is a cycle timing specification for programmed I/O.
"ultra DMA" is an 8.33MHz synchronous transfer mode.

"detach" is known as "overlapping", and "command queueing" is known as
queueing.  These features are identified by looking for the
"overlapped" and "queued" feature sets in the drive identification
data.  I don't know of anyone that's yet come up with a marketting name
for these features.

You can read about them in the ANSI T13/1153D document; see
ftp://fission.dt.wdc.com/t13/

mike