Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:12:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Lee Mark Mercado <mercadolee@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: passwd

Lee Mark Mercado wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> is there a way that a user could change their user-password
> without logging into telnet ? like: thru a form on a webpage ?
>
> any ideas will greatly help. Not all my users now about telnet and
> i was thinking that a website form for changing password might be
> easier for them.

Sure... There are a few ways to do this. If your passwords are stored
in a UNIX passwd database (i.e., /etc/spwd.db), it's not as easy as
you might think, to change passwords over the web. If you're stuck
using the passwd database, there isn't a trivially straightforward way
to get the job done that I'm aware of.

I have had good success, however, using the expect programming
language (from ports) in conjunction with su(1)  and passwd(1),
running as a CGI script. The rest is just chat script logic that
parses the various inputs and outputs from passwd(1) in an
"interactive" way, and returns appropriate status to the user.

If you (or others) are interested, I may be able to blow the dust off
of that script.

Hope this helps,

- Ryan

> thx
> -Lee

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon