Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 1994 14:39:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@bigdipper.umd.edu>
To:        "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
Cc:        "Daniel Stephens (CSC)" <stephens@mabuse.cas.usf.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Kernel...

On Sat, 24 Dec 1994, Michael C. Newell wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 1994, Daniel Stephens (CSC) wrote:
>
> > I know this question has been asked before because I saw the response to
> > it.  I also promptly deleted the response.  I then went galavanting
> > through the www site searching all the list archives for the answer, but
> > to no avail.  Anyhoo, could some kind soul please tell me how to delete
> > the old /kernel and put in its place a shiny new one?
>
> I save all my mail; then wais index it for easy access... :{)  250Mb and
> rising... :{) :{) :{)
>
> Here's the most relevant I could find...
>
>> Well, almost.  Single user didn't do it.  I had to 'chflags noschg
/kernel'
>> and that did it.  Not sure whether it would have allowed that multiuser.

I read all my mail, then neuron-index it for later retrieval.  :-)
Here's the most relevant I could find:  Use "make install" to
automatically move /kernel to /kernel.old and then copy the newly made
kernel to /.

BTW - the chflags thing is essentially what make install is doing - its
just more typing...

 | Al Dhir, Programmer Analyst        /___\    UMCP Ag-Engineering Dept    |
 | Internet: adhir@bigdipper.umd.edu  (o o)    (301) 405-1197              |