Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:13:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   'rm' incompatibility with Posix.2

--0-1447739591-1018344787=:75449

	Hi everyone,

 I have noticed quite some time ago a strange way in which some basic
FreeBSD utilities work, related to symlinks. Example session:

bgd@cvs$ mkdir temp
bgd@cvs$ ln -s temp b
bgd@cvs$ ls -ald temp b
lrwxr-xr-x  1 bgd  wheel    4 Apr  9 11:27 b -> temp
drwxr-xr-x  2 bgd  wheel  512 Apr  9 11:27 temp
bgd@cvs$ rm -rf b/
bgd@cvs$ ls -ald temp b
ls: temp: No such file or directory
lrwxr-xr-x  1 bgd  wheel  4 Apr  9 11:27 b -> temp
bgd@cvs$

 As you can see, when I tried to remove the symlink 'b' with a trailing
slash 'rm -rf b/', the target directory was removed instead of the actual
symlink. Of course, this is weird (tryied it on some other 10 un*xes, and
all worked in another way).

 I have attached a patch for the 'rm' untility, which strips the trailing
slash(es) from the path (according to Posix.2). But I think there are many
other utilities which need to be patched (e.g. cp, mv).

 Greetings,
 bogdan

--0-1447739591-1018344787=:75449

MGExLDINCj4gDQo+IA0KNDYzLDQ3MGQ0NjQNCjwgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg
IC8qIHN0cmlwIHRyYWlsaW5nIHNsYXNoZXMsIHNpbmNlIFBPU0lYLjIgZGVm
aW5lcyBiYXNlbmFtZQ0KPCAJCSAgIGFzIHRoZSBmaW5hbCBwb3J0aW9uIG9m
IGEgcGF0aCBhZnRlciB0aGUgdHJhaWxpbmcgc2xhc2hlcw0KPCAJCSAgIGhh
dmUgYmVlbiByZW1vdmVkLg0KPCAJCSAqLw0KPCAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg
cCA9IHN0cnJjaHIgKCp0LCAnXDAnKTsNCjwgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIHdo
aWxlICgtLXAgPiAqdCAmJiAqcCA9PSAnLycpDQo8ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg
ICAgICAgICAgKnAgPSAnXDAnOw0KPCANCg==
--0-1447739591-1018344787=:75449--