Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 21:25:06 CDT
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP and files

  I have been having several problems with -STABLE lately but generally
the problems were the same ones occuring again.  Tonight a new one showed
up.  This machine is searching over about 10k files totaling 5G using
grep and egrep from within scripts.  When the scripts get to a point
where the same file is being accesses the scripts lock up.  The grep
and egrep processes are stuck in the D state.  Also, if I try to run
ls on the file the ls locks up.  After this has happened the machine
seems to have trouble syncing the disks and simply does not reboot
nicely.  The machine is a dual p133.  There are only ultra wide scsi drives
on the system (except a jaz drive) controlled by an Adaptec 2940UW
controller.  All partitions except / have softupdates enabled.  This
problem seems to be related to updating from the March kernel to a
more recent one.

---
Kent Vander Velden
kent@iastate.edu