Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 08:46:15 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        Thomas Widlundh <tw@ettnet.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XF86Setup

[format recovered: see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 04:52:52PM +0000, Thomas Widlundh wrote:
> Hi,
> Another question from i dump middleage person....
> My xserver is not very willing to start after config (/stand/sysconfig
> Post-install-X)
> The config.prog. is trying to start x but leaves me the message
> "Unable to start xserver". Then I'm supposed
> to click OK to start the config al over again, and all computer seaces
> function. I have to reboot it
> Trying to start with "startx" is resulting in an error 635 (or something).
> And I have all the xservers installed. Earlier I had both RedHat and
> Caldera installed, and there where
> no problem with X.
> I've choosen no extrem config, just an ordinary VGA with an ordinary
> cirrus 5434 and a standard VGA
> monitor.

I would try to run XF86Setup (it's in /usr/X11R6/bin) and do the configure
from there. It's supposed to work from /stand/sysinstall, but i've always
done it from XF86Setup and it's always worked so it's worth a try.

> My questions is:
> Must the xserver have a desktop like fvwm or kde to start?
> Is it possibly like I'm short of links between X and xserver somewhere?
> Is there any desktop env. installed at all from the FreeBSD CD-ROM 3.1,
> or is this something I have
> to install afterwards?

in 3.1 it's something you install afterwards. go to /usr/ports/x11-wm and
you'll see a bunch of subdirectories for window managers.

I think in 3.2 as part of the install process you're asked which
window manager you'd like to install, but i'm not so sure about this.

> This isn't easy You know. Reading hundreds of mans and Howtos in a
> foreign language just to
> snap a little deail. And with "vi" wich force me to struggle through
> html-tags.

use lynx (/usr/ports/www/lynx). it's a handy text-oriented browser...

regards,

-Oscar

--
For PGP Public Key: finger obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu