Date:      20 Feb 2003 19:17:03 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Curious SCSI and/or Firewire Problem

I am testing a firewire enclosure and a SCSI card. The SCSI card is an
Init-IO 940/950 and I obtained a driver from someone who back ported it
from OpenBSD (hopefully it will be committed soon :)

I notice that the firewire enclosure does ~20-25Mb/sec by itself, and
the SCSI disk (old slow 1Gb) does 4.5Mb/sec by itself. If I run them
both they act very bursty - neither runs at full usage all of the time,
or at top speed.

These measurement are made with 'systat -vmstat 1'.

It is almost as if they are blocking each other in the kernel, but I'm
not sure.

My disk exerciser consists of dd'ing from /dev/zero into a file on the
disks. The machine is running 4.7 from a few days ago.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I haven't tried it with the IDE
disk that is on this system yet.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5