Date:      Sat, 09 Sep 2000 12:10:06 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Maria Isabel Reyes Ramirez <reyesr@ixtchel.cs.buap.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

Maria Isabel Reyes Ramirez wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I love FreeBSD, I have a question:
> can I install FreeBSD with Windows 2000 in de same machine?

I have two machines that multi-boot Win98/NT4/W2K/FreeBSD 4.1. It is
really easy to add FreeBSD if you already have W2K installed. There is
a bug in boot0 that causes problems until you have built a new one. It
is in the ERRATA.TXT. There is probably a download available somewhere
or can be sent as an attachment.

I happen to like the ntldr and what I did was copy /boot/boot1 onto my
"c" drive as bootsec.bsd and then added the line
"c:\bootsec.bsd="FreeBSD" to my boot.ini. If you have been around NT
long, you should know how to edit the boot.ini. It is usually attribed
with sh and you have to "attrib -s -h boot.ini" before you can edit it
with a text editor. When you are through, you replace the "-" with "+"
and you are done.

This only works if FreeBSD is installed onto your 1st HD. You have to
use boot0 if it is on one of the other drives. I have three primary
partitions on my 1st HD. I always have a 2GB FAT16 for the boot
because NT4 doesn't understand FAT32 and Win98 doesn't understand
NTFS. I don't have a system in the first partition because it is my
common file space and systems chew up a lot of disk space. You can
boot W2K and Win98 from other HD's and that isn't a problem. I setup
the two multi-boot systems using FreeBSD 4.0 and you had to have your
/ partition located in front of cylinder 1024 (~8.4GB with LBA turned
on). In one case the 13GB FreeBSD slice is in front of my extended
partition and it is after it on the other system. I made "/" a 100MB
partition and it is located before 8.4GB. The extended partition is
~5GB.

If you have a large HD (>8.4GB in my world), you want to use FreeBSD
4.1 because it can boot from large drives. If you have a FreeBSD
CDROM, you can play with how you set it up. If you make a mistake use
sysinstall to wipe the slice and start over. The multi-boot systems
all have 20GB Maxtors running UDMA33. The drives will do UDMA66 but my
motherboard will not.

When you finish the install, FreeBSD will have made its slice the
active one and you will have to set it back using fdisk. I always have
a Win98se startup disk to do that. You may be able to do that with
FreeBSD but I have never taken the time to learn how. You can have
four primary partitions. One of them can be a extended partition with
logical partitions in them. You can mount the extended partition but
not use them for a FreeBSD slice.

I use the ntldr because I can change the default boot from the NT's
system applet. You can also change the length of time it waits to
boot. You can even set the time to 0 and have it autoboot straight
into FreeBSD. You still can press one of the arrow keys in the early
part of the boot and bring up the menu.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart