Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:25:19 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab email

Brian Henning wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>Everytime something runs from the the crontab for a given user such as root, I
>get an email with the results of the execution. I am running a few crontabs that
>run every 2 minutes and this gets to be a lot of excess email. How can I turn
>off this feature.

#man 5 crontab

     In addition to LOGNAME, HOME, and SHELL, cron(8) will look at MAILTO if
     it has any reason to send mail as a result of running commands in
     ``this'' crontab.  If MAILTO is defined (and non-empty), mail is
sent to
     the user so named.  If MAILTO is defined but empty (MAILTO=""), no mail
     will be sent.  Otherwise mail is sent to the owner of the crontab.
This
     option is useful if you decide on /bin/mail instead of
/usr/lib/sendmail
     as your mailer when you install cron -- /bin/mail doesn't do aliasing,
     and UUCP usually doesn't read its mail.

PWR