Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:20:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tony Tung <tonytung@merly.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   emacs on freebsd 5.3

Hi,

I have an unusual problem I was hoping someone could help me with.  I have
a FreeBSD 5.3 server that's been up for longer than a month.  In that
period, everything seemed fine.  However, all of a sudden, I'm no longer
able to spawn a shell in emacs.  In fact, I cannot start any process
(shell, gdb, grep, compile) inside emacs.  It is happening to all the
users, which makes me wonder if there's some OS-related issue in play
here.

I've tried restarting emacs, bypassing the emacs startup file,
reinstalling emacs, and just about everything I could think of short of
restarting the server (don't want to do that until I'm physically
present).

Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
Tony