Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:10:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt@dlr.de>
To:        Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] aal5 pdu CRC

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

JMR>Hi,
JMR>
JMR>get some free time to work in uadsl, but have a problem.  Hope someone that
JMR>can read ITU I.363 can answer this.
JMR>
JMR>Every usb adsl modem implementation I see doesn't obey aal5 pdu encoding
JMR>standards, which requires that the PDU trailer come at the begin of a fresh
JMR>cell.

That is not true. The trailer must be on the END of a cell. Before the
trailer there will be padding bytes so that this happens. If, for example,
you have a one byte PDU the AAL5 PDU will consist of 1 byte information,
39 bytes padding and 8 bytes trailer.

JMR>So, I think that the modem must rework this and generate two cells on the
JMR>wire.  Due how this modems works, I doubt that the modem recalculate PDU CRC
JMR>itself, So...
JMR>
JMR>Can someone confir if the CRC covers the PAD?  I'm begin to think that the CRC
JMR>only covers the playload and the pdu-trailer.

The CRC covers everything but the CRC. The PAD must be filled with zeros
though.

harti