Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 22:54:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Tim M. Kelley" <tkelley@cy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another Failed to boot problem

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Tim M. Kelley wrote:

> I've managed to install FreeBSD 2.1R from my ATAPI CDROM drive onto my
> second hard drive solely dedicated to FreeBSD. My primary drive is a DOS
> drive. During the (novice) install, I specified that the FreeBSD boot
> manager is to be installed.

Wow!  ATAPI that worked? :-)

> However, when I reboot my PC, I get the prompt from the boot manager to
> press F1 for DOS, or F5 for Disk 2. F1 boots DOS with no problems. However,
> F5 just causes the boot manager prompt to be redisplayed. In other words, I
> can't boot the installed FreeBSD.

AFAIK, the boot manager seems to balk at starting freebsd from a second
disk.  It never worked for me.  When I installed OS/2 I install it's Boot
Manager and that works quite nicely.

> Here are my questions:
> 1) Is it possible to boot FreeBSD from a floppy and have the boot process
> automatically (or manually, even) recognize my FreeBSD installation?

Manually: yes.  Auto: you have to rebuild the floppy.  Don't ask me how :)

> 2) How do I remove the boot manager from my DOS disk?

from dos: FDISK /MBR

> 3) Alternatively, how do I make the FreeBSD boot manager work?

Someone else please tell me!  :-)

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant