Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:42:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Ugen <ugen@xonix.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <optix@nyc.rr.com>, "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy: trying again

I had precisely such a need at one time--while the aic driver for the
Adaptec 1520 was not in the kernel.  So I wanted a boot floppy that
included the driver for the 1520.

I built a release (this was for 3.2).  Then I made another kernel
for the release and made boot floppies, so the kernel included the
driver I wanted.  I had this release on my web server for a while
and a few people actually used it to install.

I also built a release around the same time to include pccard support
in a boot kernel so I could install on a laptop by ftp (this is of course
now part of the GENERIC kernel).  I also adapted msfroot to include
the ee editor so I could edit the pccard.conf file, and of course I
had to include pccardc and pccardd.

This is sort of fun to do, but it is also detailed and tricky, and
even if "make release" works from start to finish, the customization
requires that you intervene in the process one way or another.

I did it on a Pentium 90 and it took 38 hours. :)

You might look at at the Makefile in /usr/src/release to find out
just what gets put on kern.flp.  (My experience was that I had to
have a matched set of kern.flp and mfsroot.flp or mfsroot.flp
wouldn't work.)

Since that time I've seen comments that it's "trivial" to make a
custom kernel but it certainly isn't obvious to me how to do this
independently of building a release.

	Annelise