Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 11:49:19 -0600
From:      Jim King <king@sstar.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap_pager:  indefinite wait buffer?

At 09:53 AM 12/2/1999 -0600, Jim King wrote:
>Sorry if this doesn't belong on -stable, but I didn't get a response on
>-questions.
>
>I got this in my messages file:
>
>Dec  1 09:10:20 cgi /kernel: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device:
>0x20401, blkno: 776, size: 4096
>Dec  1 09:11:31 cgi /kernel: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device:
>0x20401, blkno: 776, size: 4096
>Dec  1 09:11:32 cgi last message repeated 2 times
>
>What exactly does this mean?  I'm afraid that it means some disk hardware
>is flaking out.  If that's the case how do I know which disk had the
>problem?  (I have swap space on two drives.)

OK, call me a doofus for not searching the mailing list archives.  To
answer my own question, this means that a pageout took longer than 20
seconds on device major 4, minor 0x20001, which happens to be /dev/da0s1b
on my system (swap space on the first drive).  The usual advice is that
this is harmless.  It does NOT indicate failing hardware.  However, it does
indicate a busy disk, and if it happens a lot you should probably add swap
space on another drive (already done, unfortunately) and/or more memory.

I saw this question a lot in the archives.  Would this be a good one for
the FAQ?

Jim