Date:      30 May 2002 00:39:19 -0700
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        rizzo@icir.org
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: peer-to-peer asymmetric simulation

> it is true that _each_ packet goes through the firewall once,
> but when you have bidirectional traffic nothing prevents you
> from having different rules apply to packets in the two
> directions e.g. basing on the receive interface
>
>    ipfw add pipe 1 ip from any to any in recv fxp0
>    ipfw add pipe 2 ip from any to any in recv fxp1
>
> this particular example is probablu even on the ipfw manpage
> or on the dummynet page
> http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/

Yes, this is the functionality I have.  I guess I wasn't clear with the
problem.  If I am simulating a peer-to-peer environment of 56k modems, I
need to limit bandwidth both up- and down-stream.  The solution above only
give me one or the other, not both.  For example, with 8 "56k modem"
clients (assuming previous settings from last email):

If 7 of the 8 are transmitting to the 8th, I can limit them to only send
224Kbits/s of data to it (each limited to 32Kbits/s times 7 clients).  BUT,
because it's only going through ipfw once, I cannot limit the traffic going
in to the 8th client to 48Kbits/s.  It will come in at the full
224Kbits/s.  Does my original email make more sense now?

Jon Noack