Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:39:57 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW, blocking IM servers

> I have a text file on the Squid proxy which contains a list of blocked
> sites, which I include below.  Only a technically astute user would be
> able to bypass this setup. S1ince this would require very deliberate an=
> complicated steps, such as setting up a VPN tunnel through SSL, this wo=
uld
> be clear grounds for termination.

I wouldn't fire an employee for doing that, I'd move them to the IT secur=
ity=20
department...

The problem with blocking them is that more will always pop up, and more =
ways=20
to get around controles will too. Unless you have a situation where you=20
absolutely have to block, ie, you have users that won't listen to a kind=20
request, ie, school kids, your kids, management, I would not pick blockin=
g as=20
a strategy, instead, tell them that the use of IM services is not allowed=
 on=20
the network, and that infringement will be considered time not spent on=20
business activities, take it off their salaries, they'll stop trying righ=
t=20
away.

--=20
Willie Viljoen