Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:27:37 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request to mirror CTM

> And what about more systematic solution? If I'm correct, CTM on
> ftp-master.FreeBSD.org is dead since May 1. I see two possible
> solutions:

> * Instruct ftp-master.FreeBSD.org to mirror CTM data from your server
>   and all mirrors will automatically mirror it. If there is agreement
>   about exact CTM time generation on your server and an exact update
>   time on ftp-master.FreeBSD.org, it should not be very big problem.
>   Servers not ready for CTM mirroring (disk space etc.) can exasily
>   skip it.

This second solution would be ideal, and at your suggestion I have sent
an email to ftp-master@freebsd.org.

(I really don't know how FreeBSD mirroring works - is there a web site
that explains it?)

> (From the other side - there is some problem: We want to be as fast
> as possible for any CERT updates. Any thoughts about it? Mirror runs
> once a day seems to be not sufficient. Maybe more frequent updates on
> CERT subdirectory would not put much bigger
> load on ftp-master.FreeBSD.org?)

The CTM deltas are created about 1.5 times per day.  As they are
created, they are sent by email to those who have subscribed to the
various ctm-* lists.  So if the ftp site is a day or so behind, that is
not so much of a problem.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen@math.missouri.edu