Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:22:08 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting rid of openssl port

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 02:48:38PM +0300, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hello!
>=20
> Some of my machines were running RELENG_4_7 when I installed ports=20
> such as apache13_modssl and cyrus-imapd on them. Since that version
> of FreeBSD had OpenSSL 0.9.6 in the base system and these ports required
> 0.9.7, I ended up with openssl port installed on these systems.
>=20
> Now that I'm upgrading to RELENG_4_8, which includes OpenSSL 0.9.7, I wan=
t to
> get rid of the port. It would just feel cleaner to not have multiple vers=
ions=20
> of same libraries in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib.
>=20
> What is the easiest way to get rid of OpenSSL port? Do I need to remove e=
verything
> that depends on openssl port, remove the port and then reinstall everythi=
ng?
> Or is there a less painful way? Actually "everything" is not that much in=
 my case,
> it really is just apache13-modssl port on one machine and cyrus-imapd por=
t on the
> other machine, but it still implies *some* downtime of HTTPD and IMAP ser=
ver.=20

So long as you define WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=3Dyes in your environment, both
the apache13-modssl and cyrus-imapd ports will link against the system
supplied version of the SSL libraries.

Thus you can use portupgrade to update those ports with minimal
downtime, and then delete the openssl port you've installed afterwards
without any unpleasant side effects from those two.  Not that it
wouldn't be sensible to use ldd(1) to double check which SSL libraries
the binaries in question link against before you start hitting the
delete key.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20