Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:25:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NTPD in upcoming release?

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> What about the network connection on port 123?
>
> You will also lose the ability to run ntpd at an elevated priority, and ntpd
> is careful to only run its main process at elevated priority.

NTPD has a pretty rigorous separation between the setup and run
phases. It does not change its priority after the initial setup.

I've experimented with chrooting ntpd, and it is fairly easy. It will
only break the optional recording of stats, unless you set up a symlink
in (say) /var/ntp that points /var/ntp/var/ntp to ../..

My NTPD's run like that, actually.

Cheers,

				-- Bert

--
Bert Driehuis -- driehuis@playbeing.org -- +31-20-3116119
If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!