Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:43:02 +0100
From:      Kent Palmkvist <kentp@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with a Acer Aspire

Hello all,

Here is a fix how to get the Acer Aspire 1522 WLMi to boot amd64 FreeBSD
(tested with 5.3 and 6-current-snap from February 2005).

Problem:
The boot process hangs after loading the kernel, but before getting any
output from the kernel boot.
In 5.3 this means that I get the daemon figure with the 7 choices, and
independent of which of the
choices I make, the loader indicator will make a couple of turns and then
stop. This has been tested
with all the different versions of the amd64 FreeBSD that I have been able
to find (5.3-RELEASE,
5.3-SNAP, 6-Current-SNAP etc.) dating from December 2004 to February 2005.
Also tested the one
by Kelly Black that solved a problem with the Compaq Presario R3000z
(http://blackk.union.edu/~black/freebsd/) but with same disapointing results.

Solution:
Disable the Legacy USB Support in the bios setup (at least available in
v1.09 of the BIOS). It boots
correctly into the installer for 6-current-snap from February 2005 (do not
need to select any special
boot options). For 5.3-RELEASE, it needs the ACPI to be disabled, otherwise
it will get a panic on
"vm_fault: fault on nofault entry" after cardbus detection. If ACPI is
disabled, 5.3-RELEASE will boot
nicely into the installer.

good luck!

/Kent