Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:02:42 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: hotmail question

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> However, I don't belive that they have.  If you Telnet into the SMTP port
> on any of Hotmails mailservers, you most definitely do NOT get a
> Microsoft Exchange banner, unless they have totally modified the SMTP
> banner.  (which I fail to see the point of why they would do this)

Possibly it's a different MS SMTP server than exchange? For instance,
there appears to be one bundled with IIS.

> One characteristic of Sendmail's banners is that they issue the time and
> date as part of the greeting.  I don't know if qmail does also, but I
> don't see why they wouldn't. Microsoft Exchange does not.  The Hotmail
> SMTP servers definitely do.

Both of these have the time and date in them, and look like MS servers
to me:

220 tkecmailc02.one.microsoft.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 5.0.2195.1600 ready at  Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:40:20 -0700

220-mail5.mmcable.com Microsoft SMTP MAIL ready at Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:43:05 -0500 Version: 5.5.1877.537.53

I could understand MS tweaking a Unix MTA to claim to be Microsoft,
but why would mmcable do that?

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.