Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:41:30 -0600
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@austin.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Create socket files

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 08:34:09PM -0500, Peter Fraser wrote:

> instructions in the handbook to create some jails. It makes part of
> the filesystem readonly which is good. Problem is though that I tried
> installing syslog-ng in one of the jails and when I tried to start it,
> I got this error
>
> > Error binding socket; addr='AF_UNIX(/var/run/log)', error='Permission
> > denied (13)'

	error 13 is EACCES, "The requested address is protected,
           and the currect user has inadequate permission to
           access it."

	Since you have created a read-only file system, I'd say the
    socket is attempting to bind to a read-write (full-duplex) socket,
    given the "log" in the name.

	Just creating the socket is unlikely to be blocked by your
    read-only file system, since it doesn't consume an i-node until
    it is bound to a name, or more specifically, the system doesn't
    know what permissions apply until it is bound.

							Bruce
  "I like bad!"                         Bruce Burden    Austin, TX.
        - Thuganlitha
        The Power and the Prophet
        Robert Don Hughes