Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 19:53:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
To:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, questions@freebsd.org

M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com> asked:
%     Ok, all the machines are FreeBSD 2.1R, anyway. Now, we want to
% dedicate a new interface and a separate `physical' segment for the
% server for big binaries write access, but without having to use up
% a different subnet (scarce). So, ideally, the new interface must
% be on the same logical subnet as the existing one, but it is on a
% different physical segment.
%
%    Is this doable ?

Garrett A. Wollman replied:
> No.

% work, at least in theory. From memory there is no restriction on
% physical interface and logical subnet. Please correct me if this is
% not true.

> This is not true.  The Internet Architecture requires that logical
> subnets be fully-connected.  The BSD Architecture requires that every
> network interface be connected to a unique subnet.

It'll work if you "fix the question."  I assume you're talking
about creating a separate channel from one client machine to a
server of some sort.  Simple enough - just stick a second ethernet
interface in the two machines in question and assign them addresses
in a PRIVATE network.  No subnetting required, and you *don't want*
either machine to forward between the private network and their
"normal" network.  Now, use the addresses or hostnames on the
private network for whatever data sharing you want going on.  I.e.:

	-----+-------+--------+------+--------+------ disney.com
	     |       |        |      |        |
	   Mickey  Minnie  Donald  Goofey  Scrooge
	                      |               |
	                      +---------------+   duck.net

Where duck.net is a private class C network using one of the IP
network addresses recommended in RFC1597, typically 192.168.0.
Since these IP addresses are *never* propogated outside the
donald-scrooge link, you don't have to worry about subnetting, dns,
or anything like that.

If this 2nd network is being used as a high-speed link for NFS,
for instance, donald would nfs mount from scrooge.duck.net as
opposed to scrooge.disney.com.  You will, of course, have to have
the hostnames for duck.net in your host files or on a DNS server
that is private to duck.net.