Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 19:13:24 -0500
From:      Tom Parquette <tparquet@twcny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panic: general protection fault installing 4.2-RELEASE

Please CC me on any replies.  TIA.

I'm trying to install 4.2-RELEASE on a Dell Optiplex XM 575.
I have recreated the floppies and tried to install over the Internet and
from an NFS mounted CD that I burned from the ISO image of 4.2-RELEASE.

In visual config, I deleted all of the conflicting and devices that I do
not have installed.

This is the latest attempt:
It was extracting sbin into /usr/src directory.
1024 bytes read from sbin dist, chunk 1 of 2 @ 1.0KB/sec.
Panic: general protection fault
syncing disks... 85 84 80 73 58 34 6
done
Uptime: 17m20s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

I had hit enter so I could copy all of this down.

I've used this CD to install on other machines without problems.

Any ideas??
Cheers...

--
Try not.  Do or do not.  Is no try. -- Yoda