Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:43:00 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

Not that it's a problem with fbsdboot.exe itself it's just that
"options VM86" is about to become mandatory and code triggered
by that option makes certain assumptions that cannot be made
when booting from DOS in all cases.

I dont think we should kill fbsdboot.exe because it can still be
useful.

What would be best is for fbsdboot.exe to return all vectors to
normal but I realise that cannot be done.

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Summary) There may be no way of booting cleanly using a versions of
> >          DOS from Microsoft in the future.    This is not the case
> >          now - see STOP PRESS below.
>
> Actually, what this tells is is that fbsdboot.exe should be deprecated
> because:
>
>         A) It's never been that well supported in the past as it is.
>
>         B) It's clearly vulnerable to future Microsoft braindamage.
>
>         C) I'd prefer not to rely on M$ behavior in anything resembling
>            a supported installation feature.
>
> So, given all of that, I will now work to remove all references to
> fbsdboot.exe in our installation instructions and simply recommend
> that a boot floppy be used in *all* installation cases.
>
> - Jordan

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973