Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 15:16:39 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   I screwed up my home KDE files

I did a silly thing - doh!
I was working froom the console as su-root, then wanted to do some gui things
so withour thinking I entered startx and ,,,,  KDE has never forgiven me
<sob>

I rescued one or two essential files where ownership had been changed from
myself-wheel to root-wheel, but this was never enough and KDE has become less
and less reliable.  It stopped holding my preference for 6 desktops, and gave
me 4 instead - but when I used Control Centre to change back to 6 that not
only worked, but the backgrounds and the apps in all 6 desktops were restored
just fine (go figure).  It's latest trick is to lose all the KPPP account
information.

Upgrading from KDE2.2.2.2 to KDE3 hasn't solved the problem.

Everything in KDE as root continues to work just fine and I am sending this
message from kmail as root (sorry!).

Q.  How can I rescue the situation and get my own home KDE files back again.
I wondered about saving data files, then deleting user-myself, deleting the
myself-home directory, then adding user-myself again (and then putting the
data files back later).  Would FBSD4.6 cough if I deleted a user and then
promptly reinstated them?
Is there a better way to resolve the problem I have?

TIA.