Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 07:48:59 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "FreeBSD as a Desktop" heh, heh....

Chris Dillon wrote:
[snip]
>>On my notebook:
>>none1@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x00e41028 chip=0x011210de rev=0xb2
>>hdr=0x00
>>     vendor   = 'Nvidia Corporation'
>>     device   = 'GeForce2 MX Ultra [NV11]'
>>     class    = display
>>     subclass = VGA
>

> I didn't add that PCI ID for some reason.  I'm not sure what it would
> take to get that one to work but it might be just as easy as the rest.

Ok - it should work if the others work.. It would be awesome if it "just
worked" like the rest of FreeBSD.. :)

>>and on my desktop:
>>none1@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x87831462 chip=0x017210de rev=0xa3
>>hdr=0x00
>>     vendor   = 'Nvidia Corporation'
>>     device   = 'GeForce4 MX 420 [NV17.3]'
>>     class    = display
>>     subclass = VGA
>

> This one is in there.  If the card is not being detected at all and
> the nv driver isn't even trying to drive it, then the patch is not
> present for some reason.  Try compiling XFree86-4 totally from a
> recent ports collection.  If it IS being attached to the nv driver
> when you run XFree86 and it just doesn't work, then there is another
> problem.

It must be something else then, because XFree86 DID detect it and use
the nv driver.  It just never actually worked..  I did the standard
--configure thing that has been working for me for other cards..

Any ideas?  I'm sure I'm not the only one hitting this..

Eric