Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:11:17 +1200
From:      "Zhijian Shen" <shen_zhijian@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Question.

Dear Sir:

I have a problem with FreeBSD 4.2 RELEASE.  I have tryed all methods

that I can do included in many readings and help docs within this

release. I still cannot solve these problems. So I have to ask for

your help.

This FreeBSD 4.2 RELEASE was downloaded from your web. It was a whole

set, completely downloaded. And I install it with no problem.

The only problem is that I cannot start X window system. I work well

in the character mode. When I use sysinatall to setup XF86 Server it

does not display any error. But at one point that I suspect is, it

displays "Press Enter to enter into graphics mode. This may take a

while.". But from that it does not enter into graphics mode, just

returns back to the previous setupmenu screen. I do not know whether

it is wrong or right.

At the shell face I have some of the error messages as following:

#startx
(to many line I cannot catch up)

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: KDENABIO failed(Operation not permitted)
X connection to : 0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

#twm
twm: unable to open display""

#SuperProble
SuperProbe: KDENABIO failed
SuperProbe: Cannot open video

#uname -a
FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 20 13:02:55 GMT

2000 jkh@bento.FreeBSD.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386.

My computer is P-III 866 standard PC. Display card is NVIDIA RIVA

TNT2/M64A chipset.

So, Could you please give me some help?
I would be very very thankful.

Regards.