Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:09:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      matthew tillman <maffew@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   device pcm kills SMP performance -CURRENT

Hello-
I have an ACorp 6A815EPD motherboard, Intel i815
chipset, with a pair of P3 733s.  My sound
card, is a SoundBlaster Live Value.

Whenever sound support is compiled in the Kernel,
performance takes a
huge hit, X runs about the same as on a P2 300 or so.
But If I boot to
a kernel that is configured exactly the same, without
device pcm, the system is very
responsive.

Booting to a non-SMP kernel in 5.1-Release with or
without sound support, the system was very fast.  I
did not try no sound support with SMP, as I thought
the issue was only SMP performance in general.

I then CVSuped to -CURRENT on Nov 8th, because at the
time I didn't realise the issue was isolated to the
sound system.  However, I still have the same issue.

I also tried swapping the card into a diffrent PCI
slot, but that
didn't help.

Any ideas?
Thanks,