Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:26:02 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live555.com>,  "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, postmaster@freebsd.org

[ ...cross-posting minimized to one list, postmaster@ CC'ed... ]

Ross Finlayson wrote:
> What is the reason for the sudden flood of spam on several FreeBSD
> mailing lists?  Do these lists no longer require that senders be
> subscribed to the list?  Or are legitimate senders' computers infected
> with a virus that is sending the spam in their names?

Respectively, sometimes people do the SPAM equivalent of a drive-by shooting and
flood the lists (which is happening now), the FreeBSD lists are mostly open and
permit unsubscribed posting, and sometimes, yes, legitimate senders get infected
 and have their machines bounce spam our way, too.

postmaster@ is undoubtedly on it, but if you have sufficient insight into mail
headers to help complain to the sending ISPs, by all means feel free to help.

--
-Chuck

PS: A postmaster's job is almost always a thankless task.
(But there are exceptions: thanks for doing what you can. :)

PPS: However, I think that the list admins perhaps might take better advantage
of Mailman's ability to have posts be moderated temporarily:

   URI:/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-net/?VARHELP=general/emergency

If this isn't currently being done because the people with moderator access lack
the time, would this change if more people are willing to help moderate...?

I would very much prefer to see the FreeBSD forums be rid of off-topic spam.